Monday, February 23, 2009

Sign of the Times



I received a call on my cell phone on Thursday night at quarter to 10pm. (??) In my life, this just hardly happens. It was one of the coordinators from the Andover Crafts in the Park who was wondering if I was able to download the application for the fair on her email, as she had not yet recieved it from me. Hmmmmmm. I told her that, yes I did recieve it but unfortunately I wasn't going to do her show that weekend. She asked me "Is it the ECONOMY???" Well, yes. In a roundabout way. I think that these art shows were kind of fazing out in attendance anyway. I did this show last year and didn't make a profit, and never recieved any commissions from it. It was time for me to move on to another one. But I did say it was the economy. I did tell her that I didn't do well at the show before either.

What's interesting to me is that if this woman is calling me asking about my application, it probably means that a lot of people haven't sent in an application and that they are desperate for vendors. Sad, really. SOme of these shows are put on in order to raise money for music programs at schools or boy scouts or church funding. But right now I just can't forsee spending the money just to stand around all day.

For the time being I'm just going to have to let my website be my gallery/art show and just have to get it out to the masses. It's a long road to recovery.

No comments: